Submissions on the Whakatāne District Council’s draft 2019/20 Annual Plan will close at 5pm on Monday, 29 April, so now is the time to have your say!
Key focus areas highlighted for feedback in the Council’s Annual Plan consultation document include:
- Whakatāne waterfront and town centre regeneration
- Bringing forward planned road safety and active transport improvements
- Enclosing the outdoor pool at the Whakatāne Aquatic and Fitness Centre
- Earthquake strengthening the Whakatāne District War Memorial Hall
- Implementing a managed retreat process for Matatā properties threatened by debris flows
- Cost increases for water and wastewater services
- A targeted rate for Whakatāne CBD businesses, proposed by the EPIC (Events Promotion Initiatives and Community) group, to fund a town centre marketing and promotion strategy
- Changing the way debt limits are set in the Council’s financial strategy.
The consultation document also provides a table of indicative rating costs for communities and sectors throughout the District. While cost increases vary, the average increase proposed across the District is 4.16 percent. That compares to the 2.88 percent increase signaled for the year in the 2018-29 Long Term Plan.
For further information and guidance on how to make a submission, visit the Council website (whakatane.govt.nz) and follow the links from the homepage.